Pushback means you're headed in the right direction.
I don't know which of the many business authors I'm paraphrasing, but that sentence is relevant to me now. I'm not where I want to be, and I feel like I'm in the right area, but I have been experiencing an increase in resistance lately.
In the words of Kathryn Erbe in D2: The Mighty Ducks, "We look tired. We need to change places. Change it up!"
So, I need to do something new, while I also continue what's working. For inspiration on women in business, I like to refer to Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office, a book by Lois P. Frankel, PhD. Mistake 2, she writes, is Playing the Game Safely and Within Bounds. She uses an extended tennis analogy to show how winners have to play at the edges of the court. You can't win in the middle. Don't revert to playing safe.
I would have liked a reference to Serena Williams in the following chapter in which she discusses the more restrictive boundaries for colorful women, but let me digress to Gene Hackman in The Firm. He tells Tom Cruise to bend the law "as far as you can without breaking it." I don't plan on breaking or bending any laws. Rules, yes. Guidelines, yes. Expectations, definitely.
I also plan to watch The Firm and Top Gun again for approximately the tenth time each before 2016.
No comments:
Post a Comment